Sunday, July 3, 2011

New In 30

Our church is doing a challenge called "New in 30," which means reading the New Testament in 30 days. I personally love a good challenge in reading the Word, and actually thought it was just what I needed as I've hit a lull in my Old Testament readings.

Today's assignment was to read Matthew 1-12, that's right, 12 chapters in one day! I actually got a little head start yesterday so I wouldn't be as overwhelmed by it today. This was much needed as Matthew starts out with the lineage of Jesus, briefly goes through JC's birth & before I knew it we were in the Sermon on the Mount in chapter 5. I alway's kind of find myself dumbfounded as I read through Jesus' preaching here, because it's such a slap in the face to any rule-keeping or checklist following religion that is living in my heart. Praise the Lord for his graciousness at the end of chapter 11, which felt like a breath of fresh air:

25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. 27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I'm coming Lord!! I'm weary and burdened! I'm alway's feeling conflicted and/or convicted when reading these chapters, because Jesus is calling us to become the least in order to receive the greatest reward. I can't exactly explain or comprehend what this means, but I know that I don't always seek to put others above myself... I seek selfish gain.

As I'm flipping back through the pages I read I see there is so much good stuff - the Salt & Light section, Laying up Treasures in Heaven, Ask & it will be Given sections... all contain verses that have really hit me at one time or another. But for this read through, this is all I've got...


0 comments: