Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Marky Mark

Or Stevey Steve as my mom likes to say!

Kicked off Mark today! So I'm always intrigued by Jesus' interaction with demons. There's never any doubt of who's who - meaning, they always know who Jesus is and the power He has over them. There is no doubt that there is a major spiritual war going on that is "unseen." I know it and I feel it. However, I know that as being a daughter of Christ I can claim the same authority and power of this darkness and demons as Jesus was. So why don't I? Is it really easier to be selfish, and wallow in my self-pity? Is it easier to be bitter and angry and throw temper tantrums? Sometimes I think so. And they make me feel better... for a little bit.

One of the lessons that Jesus teaches over and over and over is that in the Kingdom of Heaven the first will be last and last will be first, and that we are to give and serve others. "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." - 10: 45 In my experiences, it has always been better, more fulfilling, and more satisfying when I'm giving myself to others vs. trying to see what I can get from others. That used to be a continual challenge to myself, and it's one I've sadly strayed from. Especially in becoming a parent, and ESPECIALLY if you are breastfeeding a child... I felt like I was giving EVERYTHING to my child, and had no claim to self. I think it's a fun adventure seeking out how to encourage people in ways that speak love to them - like baking things for my coworkers, or letting them know that I appreciate something they are doing. I'm not at complimenting others, I would say it is because of pride - fear of rejection.

Mark 8:34-35 - “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it."

0 comments: