Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 2

Thoughts on day 2's reading - Matthew 13-23

A lot of parables, which at times don't make sense, but thankfully! Jesus explains them, for the most part, the Holy Spirit does the rest! What theme's did I see over and over? Jesus' love and compassion for people, all people, and his emphasis on loving, looking out for, and serving the poor. A phrase often used in reference to the Pharisees & Sadducees - 'You brood of vipers!' I alway's shudder when I read through Jesus rebuking the Pharisees & Sadducees, and I think it's because I feel like I can often fall into times where I have the head knowledge, but not the heart engagement. Nevertheless, it leads me to pray - I pray that I am not a hypocrite, or dishonoring God when I speak of Him or am sharing His Word. I ask Him to reveal those things so that I can seek change, through Him.

There is actually a lot of passages that I love in these 10 chapters. The Parable's regarding God's joy in just one person coming to know Him. I still find myself in awe, in a very childlike way, on Jesus feeding the 4 and 5 thousand + people. In reading about the crowds that followed Jesus, I try to picture myself there, and I feel like I would just follow along, and stare at Him. How sweet would that be... to get a glimpse. I get choked up and teary-eyed just thinking about it. One day... :)

And then there's Peter... I have always connected to Peter. "O you of little faith" in chapter 14, then in chapter 16 as Peter proclaims Jesus is the Christ, "on this rock I will build my church... I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven..." I know this isn't unique to just me, but man, I feel that battle - between faith and logic. Something I keep thinking about is that my faith and logic don't always cohabitate well together!

May we seek to love the Lord God with all our heart, mind, and soul, and love our neighbors as ourselves! Oh, also, I've decided Will & I are going to read through the New Testament in his kiddie Bible too! :) I think I get just as much out of it's simple 15-20 word sections!

0 comments: