Thursday, February 9, 2012

God's Soft Spot

Jeremiah 18:7-8 "If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it."

These verses really hit my heart today. I've been reading straight through the Old Testament for awhile now, and am in Jeremiah. Let me tell you... not for the faint of heart. The word "whore" is used often in the first several chapters, and when my buddy at work would use that word I would cringe, physically, because I was thinking about the beat down the Israelites were getting from the Big Guy. But more importantly it kept causing me to revisit the things in my life that I am whoring out to other gods... and let me tell you, there are lots!

Then there's God, as usual... letting a little light shine in. :) "...if that nation, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it." God's soft spot - a repentant heart. Nothing new, nothing profound... the same message. In the same way that he has to repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over to the Israelites, he repeats it to my wondering heart. Again, the grace and mercy of God never ceasing to amaze me. No matter what we've done, or how far away we feel we have fallen, God will relent of the disaster that we deserve to have fall upon us, and lavish us with his love, grace, and blessings.

0 comments: