Sunday, February 27, 2011

Discipline: Spirituality

Once again... it's been awhile. I've been visiting my blog a lot lately thinking I really need to update this thing, but haven't taken the time to do it. Much of that coming from my lack of discipline, hence the title of this blog.

I think I should preface this blog with the terms in which I'm using the word discipline, because it has some different meanings, and in my head I do not consider myself a very disciplined person, but others may look at me, my life, the choices I make and agree or disagree depending on what they are judging it off of. I think this definition fits what I'm thinking the closest -

to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control. (from my buddy dictionary.com) There are 2 ends of the spectrum, like most things in life, and I'm talking about discipline in the healthy sense of the word. Not a robotic regimen, but the freedom that comes from being obedient.

I've decided to break this blog up into multiple posts, because as I got going it was getting lengthy...

First topic of discussion - Spirituality. As a Christ-follower (Christian) I believe that I need to be in the Word, in prayer, and in community. Due to my lack of discipline, I currently am in the Word... when I feel like it. Pray... when I get around to it. In community... when it pursues me. All of that needs to change. Not out of legalism, but because I know what it's like to have those things working and functioning proper in my life, and I like it - I feel God's presence and work through these things. With lent approaching I have been thinking about these things, and I'm starting to pray about what God wants this thing to look like.

I've never "celebrated" Lent, and I can't really tell you a whole lot about why it's practiced or where it started. I know it has to do with prayer & fasting leading up to Easter, and I'm sure Google can help me find some answers, but I believe in prayer & fasting all throughout the year, and have not felt led in the past to do anything in particular during the season of Lent. Until this year... so here I am!

Spirituality has to be the first area I start because doing anything of my own will is for nothing. It all has to be for God and His glory!

So what are the other area's of my life I'm dissatisfied with, and have gotten thrown under the lack of discipline train? Exercise/Healthy Living & Money

Galations 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

0 comments: